The Museum will be named after Reginald F. Lewis (1942-1993). Born in Baltimore, Lewis was an entrepreneur and philanthropist, who served as chair and chief executive officer of TLC Beatrice International, the largest company owned by an African American in the country. The Museum will be near the Inner Harbor at Pratt and Presidents streets. Ground was broken for the 72,000 square-foot structure on December 3, 2002 with opening scheduled for late 2004.
The Corporation's Board of Directors consists of thirty-seven members. Thirty-six members are appointed by the Governor to four-year terms. The Mayor of Baltimore serves ex officio. The Board appoints the Executive Director. At least once every five years, the Corporation will prepare a strategic plan setting goals and priorities for the Museum (Code 1957, Art. 41, secs. 20-101 through 20-113).
© Copyright Maryland State Archives